Medical Massage in Tulsa – What Is Medical Massage?
What is Medical Massage
Medical massage is not just a technique. When a professional therapist is going to perform a Medical massage she/he has to know what is wrong with the patient and what problem needs to be addressed. In other words, the therapist will work on achieving a certain outcome based on a specific diagnosis.
Can a massage therapist decide what is wrong with the patient, or provide a specific diagnosis for any form of sickness? The answer is usually “No”. Before a therapist can set up an outcome goal for a specific massage treatment she/he will need to see a doctor’s recommendation, which is usually based on specific medical tests and knowledge. An experienced therapist then will be able to conduct a secondary assessment and initiate a treatment in a way, which is the best suited for any individual client and health condition.
What can Medical massage do
Medical massage can improve and cure many conditions including:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Piriformis syndrome
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Pain associated with bulged or injured spinal disks (medical massage cannot ‘fix’ the disk, but can help alleviate much of the pain associated with the injury).
- Pain associated with pregnancy
- Range of motion issues
- Back and Neck pain
- Plantar fasciitis (involving pain in the foot)
- Repetitive use injuries such as those listed and tennis elbow, Golfer’s elbow
- Pain associated with restricted fascia
- Pain associated with postural imbalances
- Muscle cramps
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Sports/Exercise injuries
- Work Injuries
- Auto Injuries
- Edema (swelling)
- Injuries sustained in traumas such as falls or automobile accidents
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (numbness/tingling in hands/arms)
What to expect when you come for a Medical massage
As mentioned above, anybody who has one of the conditions that can be cured or improved by Medical massage will need to seek a professional advice from a doctor, or a chiropractor. Once a recommendation is issued a professional massage therapist can take it from there. Receiving a medical massage can be as pleasant as enjoying other spa treatments. However, a therapist will consult with you first and perform a secondary evaluation to see if a condition can be cured in one session, or a longer treatment plan would be required. The rest should be very easy, and you will be on your way to recovery while enjoying your day at the spa.